Friday, November 17, 2006

Dosa-Chutney

I’ve always felt that South Indian breakfasts are heavy. In Pune, people have simple breakfasts like Kanda Pohe, Sabudana kichidi, Upma, Baakri. This morning I prepared dosa. It never has been my favs, but BKV likes them. He wants them just like the way we get in hotels, thin and crispy. I try my best, but so far I have failed royally in all my endeavors. This morning too I tried, but was unable to get that crispness. I’ve never like thin and crisp dosa’s. So here are some not so very thin dosa’s…




Ingredients…
2 Cups Raw rice, 1 cup Urid Dal, some seeds of methi, 1 cup cooked raw rice, salt to taste

Method of preparation…
Soak raw rice, urid dal and methi seeds. After 3-4 hours grind this soaked mixture with 1 cup cooked raw rice into a fine paste. Leave this mixture for about 8 hours to ferment. Ad salt and mix this batter.

Scoop some of this fermented batter and pour it on a hot dosa tawa. Quickly spread it around in circular motion till you get a thin large dosa. ( I always fail while doing this).

The heat should be regulated so it does not burn. Apply a dab of oil or butter on top. With a flat spatula, try to up root the dosa. Turn it over and cook the other side for a minute. Wipe the skillet with a tissue before starting another dosa.

Chutney…
½ cup Coconut scrapings, 3tsp Roasted Chana Da (Phutane) 3-4 green chillies, ½ inch ginger, a small ball of tamarind and salt. Take them all in a blender, add little water and grind to smooth paste.

1 comment:

VENU VINOD said...

hey..
dosa-chutney is my favourite, when i come to puna, definitely will have a visit to your home and have dosa chutney:)